Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression;
bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause. Isaiah 1:17




Thursday, December 16, 2010

Giving


Both my kids surprised me today. Both have moved around a lot and had very few things to call their own , or have been given things and had them taken away (like my son's foster mom, who gave him a bunch of Christmas gifts last year, then didn't allow him to take them to his new home.) So my kids are very possessive of their things. Sharing is often difficult for them. At the same time though, they know firsthand really rough experiences--especially the scary feelings of uncertainty in not having a permanent home. They each received a little money for Christmas this year, and I asked them if they'd like to use some to help others. I was awestruck and delighted when they both enthusiastically agreed. CJ wants to give some of his money to the shelter where we got Mercy, while ZeZe wants to donate some of hers to help people in Haiti.

There are creatures hurting all over this world. I know this isn't a great financial time for anyone right now, but if you have some money to spare, I encourage you to use to it help others. You don't have to give hundreds. If you have 5, 10, 15, or 20 dollars, it can make a difference. I'm sure you can readily think of ways to use your money for others. In case you're having a bit of trouble coming up with ideas, here are a few:

1. Ask your church or other religious organization for ways you can help those in need in your community.

2. Donate to your local animal shelter. They don't just need your money; donate your time volunteering, blankets, food, or toys.

3. Consider sponsoring a child or giving a one time donation to Compassion International.

4. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is a great place to help.

5. The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is a wonderful organization that helps to bring foster children together with adoptive families.

I don't want to overwhelm you with the world's needs, I just want to show you a couple ways to help, so I'll stop there. The needs of the world are great, and you are small; but if we all pitch in together, we can make a difference.

No comments: